Moi & linux

1583.10 In reply to 1583.9 
Hi chocobanana, I wish it was as easy as you make it sound! :)

Unfortunately I expect for it to be a very time consuming project to produce such a port, it is hard to estimate it exactly but I would not be surprised at about one year's worth of work to make that happen. Quite possibly even longer.

> This is your best time to consider this seriously since you
> just barely started with MoI.

Well, this is the beginning of my 6th year of full time work into this project. :)

I can understand why you would think that it is just barely started though, I mean making things uncluttered and easier to use often makes people mistakenly think that it only takes a small amount of work to make such things happen... But perversely it actually takes a large amount more work to make such things.

> There's various tools out there that help you make it easy to
> bring it over like QT (now LGPL FYI), Mono and Python perhaps.

Well, these things only tend to make it "easy" if you kind of follow pretty boiler plate standard types of UI... With MoI I've done a lot of customized UI and don't really follow a lot of existing conventions very much, unfortunately that makes it harder to just be able to latch on to one of these existing tools.

> Plus, remember that Linux and Mac OS, especially, are
> taking off in their respective user bases.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you that it would be a great strategic thing to have this! But unfortunately the effort required is just not feasible for me to do right now.

> Perhaps you could find help from someone who could deal
> with the *NIX port.

It's pretty tough to find the right person for this, and I don't think that it would really be possible for another person to do such a large task totally in isolation from me. I mean to do a proper job of porting would mean making a lot of changes to core functions inside of MoI, so it would be a pretty disruptive type of thing, not something that could just easily "glide along" or happen totally aside from my own work on adding features to the existing code base.

So I'm sorry to disappoint you but it is not likely for this to happen anytime soon.

You may want to look into the VMWare, which I believe has software for both Linux and the Mac which will allow you to run Windows programs without having to boot your machine to a different OS. It could possibly solve your problem now.

- Michael