Villa ~ WIP

1572.36 In reply to 1572.34 
Hi Keith - generally I would only recommend .3ds as a kind of last resort option, it is a much older format and has several limitations such as a lack of smoothing information, and limits on the number of faces that can be in a single mesh object (so sometimes objects may have to be split apart).

Your best bet is to export using .obj format.

For the most compatibility, switch 2 options for OBJ export - first on the "Output", switch it to Output: Quads & Triangles. Second, it might be a good idea to hit the arrow in the bottom-left corner of the mesh export dialog to expand it to see more options, and un-check "Weld vertices along edges". That will export a more simple structure of OBJ file.

With those 2 options in place that is probably your best bet for export to Poser I think.

14,000 polygons is not a particularly huge or complex mesh, I would think that Poser should be able to handle that.

But if you want to reduce the number of polygons, move the slider to the left a bit which will produce a rougher mesh that has fewer polygons in it. But it will also get a somewhat more "jagged" type appearance.

When the mesh dialog is open, it will display a count of how many points and polygons have been generated in the upper-right corner of the main window.

But fundamentally, "smooth" (which you were asking about earlier) and "low number of polygons" do not go together, you need to generate more polygons to make a smoother shape. Since polygons are flat objects, it is just not possible to make a very smooth shape using only a very small number of them.

Hope this helps!

- Michael