Villa ~ WIP

1572.12 In reply to 1572.11 
Hi Brian,

>>I have heard many reports on "limitations" to 3ds

There are limitations, but mainly due to the lack of info within that file type (no UV etc). If I was wanting to export UV co-ordinates / textures etc, then I would use OBJ. But as I will be UV mapping/ texturing within Carrara, then no problems.

>>is there a limit at which the 3ds file size stops working

There will be a limit due to system memory. If a model is very complex (or with many parts with curved surfaces) then MoI will need a good amount of system memory for the calculations/ storage if you set the angle small, so some caution is needed.
As a little test, I exported the full model (as I am up to) with an Angle of 2 and did not set a "avoid smaller than",.. that produced a polygon count of 3.5 million. MoI during that time used 600mb of memory. Carrara did import the model with no errors.

>>Have you any learning response you can give in relation to
>>Display settings

In the output of MoI? I usually have that set to shaded+edges, I find it always gives me a better view of the mesh.

>>Welding vertices along edges
I have never found a need to disable that. So I always have weld on.

>>Divide larger than
It is an alternative. As you can leave the main angle high (like 12/15) then just divide the curved surfaces. But, as I have had no problems with the output when rendering, I normally just stay lazy and output as I normally do.

>>Aspect ratio limit
Not really something I have needed to use.

Until I start having problems with my renders, I will just continue to use the output setting I now use. "Angle 3" / "avoid smaller than .5". The weld is enabled by default, so I just leave that.
As they say, "if it ain't broke, why fix it"

- manz