Object frame progress

Ok, here's the idea on the mirroring.

So Petr, I was not really sure about even doing the freeform mirroring because it just does not seem all that useful to get something that is both mirrored and squished by some kind of arbitrary amount. I mean it seems useful to be able to do some arbitrary squishing by itself, and some exact mirroring by itself, but mirrored + arbitrary squished together? Not exactly a high use thing.

But it was pretty easy to add so I put that in there, and messing with it got me thinking, what about an option to do some exact mirroring instead of squished mirroring... That would be really cool because that is another one of the frequently used transformations.

So what I was thinking was I could put a snap point on the opposite side of the corner that you dragged on, at an equal distance of the width of the bounding frame. Like this:

So the idea is that if you grab a frame corner and drag it all the way over to the other side where that red dot on the left is, that will snap on to that point and perform a precise mirror just like doing the mirror command with the y axis there as the mirror line (including making a copy of the object).

That would mean that after you drew a symmetrical profile about a world axis, you could create a mirrored copy by using the editing frame without having to fire up the mirror command for that - the frame would then handle basic rotation, scaling, and axis-aligned mirroring all together.

I'll be messing around with this tomorrow to see how it feels. The other idea is maybe to have no squished mirroring at all, and just do this exact mirror if you move any distance over to that side instead of just getting near that snap point...

- Michael
Attachments: