Meshing Question - Trying to optimize my mesh.

1536.34 In reply to 1536.33 
Hi Will, thanks for posting the example, that does help a lot.

> You'd think that the mesher would continue around to the rear end
> and give results similar to the front!

If you line each of those fillet pieces up with each other, you can see that they are different lengths:

Due to the curvature of the hull part, one of these pieces got chopped down to be smaller than the other side.

That difference in length will right now create a difference in the generated mesh as well - that's currently the reason why one side has a different mesh structure than the other.

But this is the kind of situation that I think I can improve, because it has a plane on the other side of it. It won't be exactly easy, but I should be able to come up with a method that will align quad structures better in this case.

When there are 2 just general curved surfaces on either side of the fillet, that case will be way more difficult yet to try and align because there will be kind of 2 different alignment pressures on the same surface. With a plane on one side, it can kind of "relieve" the pressure for alignment on that side, allowing me to focus on aligning to just one other structure (that's currently my theory anyway).

I'm not exactly sure when I will be able to accomplish this, it will require a fair amount of restructuring of the mesh processing since things will be more dependent on being meshed in a certain order as well.

re: Game engine - sorry, I didn't quite pick up that was the final goal for this before.

Of course, that is one of the most difficult types of meshes to create, typically those are done by someone using great care in the placement of every single point... It's pretty difficult to set up automatic processing that replicates that exactly.

But I think I should be able to get one notch closer to it, and the specific example that you mention here should be doable. Your model here will be helpful as a test case when I work on that, if you run across other examples that you wished created different mesh structures, please send those when you run into them.

- Michael