Meshing Question - Trying to optimize my mesh.

1536.33 In reply to 1536.30 
Hi Michael, yes absolutely I wanted to send you what I was working on and get some of your advice - I was going to email you but any info here will certainly be helpful to anyone doing similar work.

As you know I love to gather reference material and practice by modeling and thereby improving my skills.

I started working with this image (of course, all props to the creator of this gorgeous model!):

After various attempts creating the main shape, I got to this point:

Since the ultimate goal for the majority of my models is for a game I'm working on (think Wing Commander type game) I'll probably have to go back to direct polygon modeling but of course I can't help but love how MOI lets you get your ideas and concepts modeled really easy!

You can play around with meshing parameters for a good amount of time trying to "balance" the resultant mesh but this is what I settled on.
You can see how the fillet edges wonderfully matches the front edge on the "barrel" (however the main body's edges dont' line up at all):

But to show the kinda things that make what's left of my hair fall out, while the front of the barrel is perfect, this is what I get at the back:

You'd think that the mesher would continue around to the rear end and give results similar to the front!

Of course rendering the model in Cinema 4d gives smooth results:

However with my models ultimately targeting a game engine, ngons will most likely not be an option anyway requiring me to either clean up the mesh or retopologize the model - this is where I started merging points and added edges to better match in certain areas:

But that quickly turns into hours of work...

-Will