Meshing Question - Trying to optimize my mesh.

1536.29 In reply to 1536.28 
This is EXACTLY the subject of a thread I was going to start "MOI at the Polygon Level"...

I was going to ask HOW to control the mesher when generating mechanical shapes (spaceships in my case) that contain fillets.

It's like the polygon pattern on one part of the mesh would be fine but at a fillet, the "crossing" lines instead of connecting to one another, would be "off" by small amounts similar to the original poster's picture.

I know it was said that unjoined parts would have non-matching edges when meshed, but I'm talking a SINGLE object here and hardly none (if any) of my fillet's topologies match the main surface(s).

At one point I was in XSI moving edges around and merging points ("Push and pull points until your eyes bleed..." - I forget who said that but I totally understand the sentiment!)

I'm glad to see perhaps a bug was found (I'd like a chance at any patches put out as well!)

But Michael, is there ANY way that you'll be able to get the mesher to join major cross-sectional edges around fillets and curves without all of the dis-joins?

I don't mind doing some tweaking at the edge/polygon level but it can get rough and very time consuming at times.

I know perhaps MOI isn't the right modeler to use when your target might end up being a game engine and clean geometry is a high priority but you can't help but love how quickly MOI lets you get your shapes created!

-Will