Another alternative UI

1521.96 In reply to 1521.95 
Hi Ed,

> Think of having a window where you assign one key
> (like right now) but instead of being limited to add
> one tool to that key, you can (for example) clic a plus
> button and add another tool below to that same shortcut
> key and then when using it, the tools behind that shortcut
> will cycle in the order you added them.

That's a pretty elaborate UI that would be specific to just this one particular "cycle between tools" use.

Rather than some special UI for just that one particular purpose, I'd rather let you just pick one action for the shortcut key similar to how you do now, but that action could be a script that contained whatever logic you wanted in it, including cycling between tools.

Basically once I add the ability to retrieve the current running command for a script, it should then be possible to have a script that will do this kind of cycling without having any special setup UI like what you're describing now.

Eventually I want to make it easier to assign a script to a shortcut key, something like letting you connect to a list of named scripts so you wouldn't necessarily need to see the actual script code itself in that dialog, you would just pick something named like "Cycle between line tools" for the keyboard shortcut for doing that kind of cycling stuff.

The thing that's good about this approach is that there is a tremendous amount of flexibility in what you can do in a script - it can do all sorts of combination of actions like do a view reset, and also switch to the next tool but only if you're over a certain viewport, or anything like that, far beyond just simply switching between 2 tools.

So for improvements in the shortcut key editor, I'd really be looking more at making it easier to pick a script for that shortcut key from some kind of script library, and that script library could contain all kinds of stuff including tool cycling as well.

- Michael