Absolute Values

147.2 In reply to 147.1 
Hi James, I'm glad that you like MoI!

> however I would like to know if there is a hot-key or something where I can
> insert the value of a point, corner, radius(whatever) without using the
> mouse to bring focus to the input field.

You don't have to push any separate hot-key, just start typing. Whenever you type a number, your keystroke and focus will automatically be placed in the x/y/z control. Except if a command is showing a numeric input as one of its options (for example the radius of a circle), focus will go there instead of into the x/y/z control.

When you're typing into the x/y/z control, if you type a single number and push enter, it will have the same effect as if you clicked on the distance control and typed - this sets distance constraint. So that's a way you can activate distance constraint without needing to click on the distance control first.

Also, if you type "<" and a number (like "<45"), it will be the same as if you clicked and typed into the angle constraint.

A couple of other things you may be interested in - you can type "r" and then a coordinate to specify distances relative to the previous point. So for instance, if you draw a line and place the first point somewhere, you can then type r1,1 to place the next point 1 unit in x and 1 unit in y away from the first point. There is also a distance<angle syntax supported, so for instance on the second point of a line if you type 5<45, it will place the second point of the line 5 units and 45 degrees away from the first point.

> The reason I ask (perhaps it's a bad habit),

Nope, not a bad habit at all - that control is also meant to be used for feedback as you're describing. Just start typing and I think it should do what you want! Let me know if it doesn't

> Next: I've been using b-curves with a 2D graphics programs, but I don't
> really know how to control them in 3D. Yes I can bend them around as you
> would in 2D with control points.

In general, I think you're probably better off not making the curves swoop around in 3D so much. It's easier to control things at first when you just deal with planar curves.

> However, when I blend, loft, or sweep I get unexpected results. Furthermore, I
> have no idea what the parameters do.

Can you please post one or two model files that show some of the curves and unexpected results that you're getting? Seeing an example would make it easier for me to understand what might be going wrong, and would make it easier for me to offer some specific suggestions.

> Could you please explain how I could design something to spec (say for
> instance a fan blade). whereby I know the overall diameter, pitch, and
> outlining blade profile with Moi and not end up with a twisted mess of
> lines.

Check out this thread: http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=100.1 for some info. That's showing an approach for how to start to surface a crane hook given a blueprint. If you grab the model attached there, you can see some of the stages.

But I think the easiest way to help you would be if you could post some of your files that have twisted messy stuff in them.

- Michael