Exporting from MoI to other 3D programs

1465.12 In reply to 1465.11 
Hi Gianrico, there are several touching parts all included inside of this one file.

Right now MoI will get confused by this type of structure, it isn't able to understand how to join these pieces together properly.

So for instance in the collar here:

If you slide that over, you can see it has an exactly overlapping part on the other piece:

Above you can see that there are some edges from each part that overlap on top of each other. MoI is getting confused and making attempts to join edges like that, it does not understand how these surfaces are supposed to be separated into individual parts at this point.

It looks like there is some kind of simple grouping information in the IGES file (IGES entity 402). I guess that is supposed to give a kind of unordered listing of surfaces that are supposed to belong to each part? Right now MoI does not look at that entity 402 group information so it doesn't know to only try to join together surfaces within the same group. Probably PolyTrans is looking at that information and that's how it knows not to just try and join everything.

It looks like I may be able to fix this up in the future.

In the meantime, there are a few different choices for how to proceed.

#1 - it is possible to have solids inside of an IGES file - these are called IGES entity 186. If it is possible for you to generate the IGES file using this type of object, then MoI will be able to identify individual parts properly and things should come in joined correctly.

#2 - turn off auto-joining in the moi.ini file, and then select sets of surfaces that you know belong together and join them manually.

#3 - break this into several files exported from the source program, so that each file only has one part inside of it instead of the whole assembly in one file.

Right now you'll have to use one of those methods, please let me know if none of them works for you.

- Michael