Open / closed polysurf

1447.17 In reply to 1447.12 
Hi Steve,

you wrote:
> Sorry, but I am a little confused with your reply on my initial question.

I wrote:
>>There isn't a way to do it right now, but it will be an easy thing to add for V2.
For MoI v1 you need to copy/paste into Rhino for this checking.

>>It is not difficult to add the script interface that will enable this,

I'm not quite sure which part is confusing you? Here I am trying to say that it will be an easy thing to incorporate into the next release, which is currently planned to be the v2 beta release.

But it actually turns out that the script interface is already in place in v1 for identifying closed objects, I was just looking for an "isClosed" method that is not present for surfaces, but there is another way that can be used instead as posted above.

Sorry for getting confused myself on this part!

> (I will say that it is the first 3d application I have used that
> does not give direct feedback of position/ orientation etc of an object.)

But I thought you mentioned previously that you had used Rhino since the first Rhino betas? It's no different over there.

In general CAD programs are not so focused on a kind of generic bounding box / pivot point type approach. Actually usually that type of method is used by applications that are not so focused on precision.

In a CAD program you tend to align an object using some kind of command (like in MoI it would be Rotate) that allows you to snap on to specific individual features of the object and use those to perform the orientation, rather than just some generic spot that is in some arbitrary averaged centroid of the object.

Once you have placed an object in its desired orientation, I guess I don't understand why you want a special readout of it after that, what purpose would that serve for you?

I do expect to add more orientation type functions in v2...

> I would also now need to ask, what do you consider a bug?
> Would this in fact be a need for moi to crash?

It's just the typical definition - something that is malfunctioning.

Missing features that are intended to be added in future versions are not bugs.

- Michael