A nice new bone for us Lightwave users...

http://www.newtek.com/news/pressrelease.php?viewpr=36

Apparently v9.5 is coming out in March which now includes a native Hair / Fur solution and a new lighting system:

“As promised with the LightWave v9 series we’ve added major capabilities with each of the updates we’ve delivered so far and LightWave v9.5 is certainly no exception,” said Jay Roth, president, NewTek 3D Division. “With the addition of a complete hair and fur solution, all new real-world lighting system and GI that is significantly faster with even more beautiful results, LightWave v9.5 has something to offer the 3D community regardless of the specialty - from game developers to character animation to architectural visualization.”

I'm hoping that NOW, MOI objects will get into LW just as good as Cinema 4D. While I've sorta moved on, Lightwave was my first "true" 3D (industry used) application and I know it the best over all the apps that I have (not to mention all the training investments I've made thoughout the years!)

It'll be nice if LW can be used similar to all those other image-based lighting packages where you just plop a model in, easily select an image for lighting and render away, no fuss, no mess!

I guess time will tell, v9 was probably going to be my last investment in LW, I'm glad to see that investment has paid off a little bit more...

-Will