How I do this?

1401.6 In reply to 1401.4 
Hi Rudy, both Brian and Nick's methods are good ways to do it.

One other tool which can work well for this kind of "shape from 2 views" type situation is the boolean intersection command, it kind of bundles up the extrusion + trimming into one operation.

Here are some step-by-step instructions:

To start with I drew a curve in the front view, using Draw curve / Freeform / Control points:

Then select that curve and run Transform/Mirror, picking 2 points on the vertical axis to make a mirrored copy of it. Also draw a line at the bottom, and then select all 3 curve pieces and use Edit/Join to join them together into 1 curve that looks like this:

Now switch to the right-side view and draw the other profile, like this:

Here is a different view of these curves so you can see how they are arranged:

Now to create the surface - select one of these curves, then run Construct / Boolean / Isect (which is short for Intersection), then select the other curve and push Done.

That will basically punch out both of these shapes into a straight extrusion, then intersect them with one another.

It will generate this result:

You can now delete the curves. Then select your new surface and run Construct / Offset / Shell, and put in a distance for the thickness. You can do this by either typing in a number for the thickness, or by picking 2 points in the viewport and the distance between those 2 picked points will be used as the thickness. The shelling will thicken the surface into a solid, giving this as the final result:

Please let me know if you have any questions about any of these steps.

> Forum make over is great

Thank you, I'm glad that you like it!

- Michael