Point number presrvation / reduction ?

1341.4 In reply to 1341.3 
Hi Tom,

> As Shroomer, I would like to be able to edit the object easily, with as less control
> points as possible, as I use the modelling software as a tool to try out different
> variations in shape and proportion of the original concept drawn with splines / curves.

The updates that I want to do in the future to the history mechanism should provide for a lot more experimentation with variations.

> Wouldn´t the integration of T-splines greatly expand the modelling-potential of MoI ?

Certainly! There are also a lot of other things that I want to add to MoI as well to expand its modeling ability.

MoI is just in version 1.0, it would definitely be unusual if it hit its full potential in the first version!

There is quite a bit more stuff to come in future versions.

> What is your opinion about this plugin ?

It's definitely cool and adds a lot of possibilities for sub-d type modeling with NURBS output.

But maybe there is some confusion here - it wouldn't suddenly make all your models in MoI squishable like a polygon mesh, you would only squish around models that you built using polygon type techniques from the first place (like box modeling, etc..) . If you construct your model using solids and booleans type techniques, then those would have trimmed surfaces in them and would not have the T-spline squishability to them.

One bad side is that it would mean adding quite a lot of tools to MoI since MoI is currently focused on a much different workflow of drawing profiles + construction instead of polygon mesh style sculpting and squishing type methods. So it isn't like T-splines just drops into place with the push of a button and adds a ton of capabilities, it requires a significantly different toolset.

> It looks like there are a lot of Cinema / poly-modellers interested in an
> easy-to.-use nurbs-modeller like MoI but find it difficult to access. A
> plugin like T-Splines would give them the best of both sides and even
> moer - the method of modeeling they are used to but better and the
> conversion to nurbs.

Well, here's the thing - if you could build things in MoI using the exact same toolset as your polygon modeler, that would certainly be more comfortable, but in a lot of cases what would be the point? I mean if MoI did the same thing as a poly modeler, you could just use your poly modeler to do that project instead.

That's why the different workflow of MoI is a good thing - it gives different capabilities than a polygon modeler instead of just the same capabilities.

Don't get me wrong, it would definitely be cool to have the option to utilize different styles of modeling (drawing/constructive and sculpting/subd) in a single environment. Eventually that may be possible, but I have planned to focus more on the drawing/constructive side for a while yet.

- Michael