Why Moi ?

1322.18 In reply to 1322.17 
Hi Tom,

> I am adding the file where I where not able to close the ends as well as to extrude
> them and round the edges.

Yup, the problem here is that open end is not planar - looking from the right-hand side and zooming in:

There is some twisting to that profile edge, it is not completely flat. If you slice a little bit off the ends of this surface with a line (same as in the steps I showed above), then the ends will be planar and can be filled using Construct / Planar.

> Here another question : Is it possible to "insert cuts" in order
> to gett additional points for manipulation ?

No, not really - in the future I want to add some more ways to insert points for surface point manipulation, but it isn't really the normal way to construct things in MoI.

> Imagine a cylinder with no points between its ends.
> And you want to enlarge its diameter in its middle ?
> Or any surface you need to
> "subdvide" in a ceratin area as you need to maipulate its
> shape there?

This is another big difference from poly modeling - if you want a single surface patch that bulges, then you don't normally start with a non-bulgy one and then change it to be bulgy. Instead you construct a bulgy one from curves more directly:

Starting with 3 circles:

Select them all and run Construct / Loft to build a bulgy cylinder:

You can edit the curves and the Loft will update, that's how you can do some interactive tweaking. (in this case you could also draw a side profile and use Revolve).

So you don't usually start with a cube or flat piece and then completely re-arrange it to a different shape like you would in a polygon modeler. Instead, you draw curves that kind of form profiles or cross-sections of your shape, and then use those to construct your object (sometimes to build surfaces, sometimes as cutting objects, ... )

I usually say that this is more like directly drawing your object, rather than the point squishing polygon method which is kind of more like sculpting your object rather than drawing it from profiles.

- Michael