Sketchup exchange

1244.6 In reply to 1244.5 
Hi xrok1,

> so... it is possible. and maybe not that difficult if one could borrow the rhino code.

Yup, it is definitely possible - I'm sorry if I gave the impression that it was impossible, that's not what I meant to say earlier, I mean to say that there were issues that make it somewhat difficult, taking a fair amount of work to make it happen.

It looks like the Sketchup guys send out some I/O helper code to some companies who request it.

But the main difficulty that I mentioned earlier is still there - Sketchup uses polygons and MoI uses NURBS and does not currently work with polygon mesh objects (other than at export time). Rhino works with both polygon data and NURBS data, that is one reason why a Sketchup import into Rhino was not quite as difficult.

To make the import come into MoI I would probably have to implement polygon mesh objects as another type of object you could create and edit inside of MoI, which is a considerable amount of work especially trying to integrate them with commands like trimming and booleans, etc...

I don't expect to be able to complete that work anytime too soon.

Sorry! Unfortunately things that take a lot of work will take time before they can be implemented.

> I don't want to offend, I love Moi, i'm just having a hard time to find an
> excuse to buy it. help me out here. ;-)

Well, if you buy it, it makes it more likely that I will be able to stay in business and eventually be able to handle your request instead of going out of business! :)

I have added Sketchup file I/O to the wiki wishlist.

- Michael