Sketchup exchange

I would also like to see some form of link between SketchUp and MoI, or some way of importing meshes into MoI. Naturally it would be nice if the imported meshes are converted to Nurbs on import, so you don’t have to think about the difference between the two types of objects. From the user perspective we shouldn’t even need to understand the difference between mesh, Nurbs, Sub-D, ESub, T-Splines etc. It should just be geometry, regardless of how the computer understands it. Maybe the Esub will really bridge that gap… Hopefully already in MoI 1.1 ;).

I just started to play with MoI a few days ago, and with my SketchUp skills I was directly able to model a nice ring. What I can’t do is cut diamonds, but I was able to find a brilliant cut in DXF. I would need that mesh in MoI to do the fitting.

I also have Rhino and T-Splines, got them just two days before discovering MoI :( . I can go from SketchUp in obj to T-Splies, and then convert to Nurbs, and then open the 3dm in MoI, but then I loose the sharp edges. Or can I convert to Nurbs some other way? I was thinking a Boolean union of a Nurbs box and the diamond mesh would do it, but doesn’t...

Copying as much of the SketchUp workflow and tools is another thing I second. The inferencing of directions, push/pull etc. Having all of that in MoI would be wonderful, but I know many of the tools are unfortunately patented. On the other hand I don’t think Google is interested in Nurbs, or even proper curves, so maybe they will let you use them for a small fee.