offset / loft problem

1181.3 In reply to 1181.1 
Hi Lemo, a .3dm model example file would help a lot, it can be difficult to figure out what is happening just with a description.

But I think you have figured out the problem already - when you offset a wiggly curve, the offset will get trimmed in the areas where there are tight bends, and it will come to a sharp point there.

If you Loft between curves that are made up of many little segments, your resulting loft will also be split up into many little segments as well. If each curve has a different number of segments, the problem will be magnified further because the loft will inherit the segmentation of every input curve all combined together.

To get a smooth loft you need to have smooth input curves.

There isn't currently any easy way to "heal" your mutli-segment curve - you will need to actually change the shape of that curve since it will have a lot of little sharp corners in it.

Right now it will take some manual work to do this. One way you can do it is to turn points on for the curve, and then go in and select the point where 2 segments join together and then delete it. That will fuse the segments together into one single smooth segment.

But really the way that I would recommend would be to trace a new curve using Draw curve / Freeform / Control points (or Through points), and snap the points on to the offset curve. If you place quite a few points using this method, your resulting curve will follow along the basic shape of your segmented curve but be one smooth piece. That is probably the best method.

In MoI version 2 I want to add a "rebuild" tool which will be able to do this kind of process automatically. But MoI version 1 does not have this kind of function.

Very irregular curves can tend to cause a number of problems with creating very dense surfaces. Some things will just not work very well with them. MoI is generally set up with the idea that most curves and surfaces will be smoother and not very chaotic. If you need a lot of very bumpy type shapes, you would probably be better off using a different modeler that uses subdivision surfaces, they are more tuned up for those kinds of shapes.

- Michael