Halogen Lamp Tutorial

1114.11 In reply to 1114.10 
Hi Lish! I'm glad you liked the tutorial, by the way the last two parts should be online very soon today. I also hope I'll be able to post other tutorials in the near future, because I'm having a great time doing them!

As you said, the level of precision of a model depends on the final purpose it's been created for. My models are mainly made for presentation purposes, so what really matters is what you actually "see" in the final image, even if I tend to be as faithful as possible to the real shape, for example, adding fillets also to the small parts, so that I can render convincing close-ups of the object.

Modeling for manufacturing basically requires that every piece of your model is a closed solid, so that the machine can effectively carve the shape. Until now I've only had some jewel designs actually manufactured, but in that case it has been easier to model using only closed solids. With a more complex object like the lamp, made up of many different pieces, it would have been much more complicated, and would not have added much to the basic purpose of the tutorial, which is to show how to get a final result, carefully choosing the order of application of the various tools.

Another important issue is that MoI doesn't have any diagnostic tool, like Rhino, for example. When modeling my jewels, sometimes I had to switch to Rhino looking for naked or broken edges, to check my solids and repair them.

I think that MoI has got a brilliant future, and can surely become a reference point to a lot of professionals as well as simple enthusiasts! It's only a matter of time...

All the best
Daniele