Final MoI release : What about the extra commands, scripts?

1074.7 In reply to 1074.5 
Hi JTB,

> SCALEARRAY : we got to have it as an option when using the command array

This is one that I feel does add complexity. It's just a pretty specialized and not frequently needed option - placing it inside the options of every array command adds some complexity to each of those commands for not very much gain.

Then when to stop? Once I have added scaling to every array command, should every single other type of transformation also be added like scaling in one direction only, rotation in x, y, and z, ... ?

Pretty soon this can lead to a large amount of options - the basic operations get drowned in a sea of unnecessary stuff. I want to be careful not to go down that path. That makes me tend to be pretty conservative about adding stuff. If there is a way for me to add functionality just for those who need it without adding complexity to something more basic, then that can be a significant gain - ScaleArray as a separate command fits pretty well into this category.

> CLOCKBAR : Should be added to general options

This just hasn't come up since a discussion a year ago until now... I guess I can add it as an option in V2.

> MEASURE DISTANCE : I know that there will be dimensions soon but we go to have this, all of us need it
> SELECTCURVES: Very nice to have, I know that selecting objects will be added later...

I haven't messed with these because I want to provide a more built-in solution to them for version 2.

> ZOOMING AND PANNING WITH ARROW KEYS : A nice add-on, why isn't it a part of MoI?

It just wasn't clear to me whether the arrow keys should do this or nudge objects by default. It was just easier for me to leave them blank and let you fill them in with whichever one you prefer.

I can see adding more default shortcuts in to future versions. Like if I start getting requests every week to make the arrow keys handle view rotation and panning, I will eventually get tired of telling people how to set it up and add it in as a default. But that certainly hasn't happened, only a small number of people have asked about that.

For custom functions that only a few people need, it just works well for me to offer those things as optional extensions...

- Michael