My most recent work in MOI...

1072.4 In reply to 1072.3 
Hi Tommy!

> I didn't want to sound arrogant - sorry, my english isn't up to the finer
> tunes sometimes :-(

I didn't find anything in your post that sounded that way to me, sorry if I gave that impression!

I just wanted to describe that it may take me some time before I am able to improve this particular thing - sometimes for other problems I try to fix them up faster than that.

Normally one of the difficulties with aligning a UV quad mesh is when you have surfaces on different sides sort of applying pressure for alignment at the same time. However maybe I can do something special for this case where there is a plane all one one side, that could kind of "relieve the pressure" from that side and let me focus on alignment to the non-plane edge...

Doing this means creating a kind of "order of meshing" dependency on the meshing process - it's a big enough change that I think it is too risky for me to attempt it right now just before releasing V1 (I've got to be careful not to introduce any nasty bugs at this point) but I think I should be able to experiment with it for V2.

> But maybe it is just XSIs obj import? I'm not sure it handles the imported "user normals" correctly?

There should be a checkbox during OBJ import in XSI that says something like "Import Normals as User Normals" - make sure that is checked and you should then have good normals working.

There was some discussion of that in this thread: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=656.15

There have also been reports of XSI not fully handling more complex N-gons with a lot of points in them. If you're running into that issue you may need to either use "Divide larger than" to force some additional subdivisions on complex n-gons (you may want to set the drop-down to just divide planes only, which is one technique mentioned in the above thread), or switch the Output to Quads & Triangles instead of n-gons.

One thing that may be causing you additional problems - there are some pretty tight bends in your outline, and it looks like the radius of the bend is quite close to the radius of the fillet. This tends to create a kind of bunching effect, sort of like this:

It looks like this may be happening on some of those tighter corners, which is messing up the quality of the surface continuity right in those tight corner areas.

- Michael
Attachments: