v1 beta - axis snap + IGES (old thread)

1013.6 In reply to 1013.2 
Hi Pilou,

> And this function is enable / disable when you press the shortcut key for a second time?

It should have been enabled by default, and that shortcut key that I posted would switch it on or off each time you pressed it. The setting is stored in the moi.ini file so it will persist between sessions as well.

The one that you are showing there is snapping in the axis direction on the second point of a line. That's called "straight snap", it's been in there for quite a while.

The new one is being able to snap on to the world axis lines, the thicker lines that you see here:

The new snap enables you to snap on to these for the first pick of a drawing command, like the start point of a curve, the one you were showing was for the 2nd point.

So for example, after starting one of the drawing commands, move your mouse nearby one of those thicker grid lines and it will snap on to it:

Previously it would not automatically snap on to that axis line.

Basically it is the equivalent of 2 built-in construction lines that run through the origin, providing snaps along these lines shown in red here:

I'll post some examples in a minute of the kinds of simple shapes that this helps with.

You could previously get these snaps by just creating a construction line through the origin. However, I think it will save a bit of time to have these ones permanently built in and always available, and it will especially help beginners who would like to snap there but don't know that you can create construction lines.

- Michael