Character modeling inside of MoI

981.13 In reply to 981.10 
Hi Dream Cutter, yes MoI is not really a good choice for typical character modeling - character modeling is usually better done in a sub-d polygon modeling program where they have a variety of tools and focus on that particular kind of modeling. There is a somewhat higher learning curve there involved with learning how to manage topology and wrangle a lot of points though.

There is a lot of variety between different 3D modeling technologies, and different kinds of modeling tools have strengths for building different kinds of model shapes. There isn't really one single tool that is the best tool for just any kind of model, just like there isn't any one single tool in your workshop that is the best tool for every single kind of task that you need to do.

It helps if you use a tool that is more suited for your particular task at hand - for example in a workshop if you need to nail some stuff together you don't want to grab the saw to do that - use a hammer for that instead. The same kind of thing applies here as well - you're better off using the 3D modeling technique that is best suited for your particular needs.

Also see this other post for some additional explanation:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3628.176

> Why use a character head (easter island Moi face) as a logo,

It's a play on words - those easter island face statues are actually called "moai":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moai

MoI -> Moai

> as I wrongly assumed that the MOI3d products appeals
> specifically _was_ for character modeling.

Hmm, no that's not a correct assumption - that's the first time I can remember hearing someone making this particular connection between the logo and the style of modeling that MoI is focused on... Sorry for the confusion!

If you would have asked any question about it here in the forum I would have definitely explained to you that it was not the best suited tool for that kind of job.

- Michael