Character modeling inside of MoI

"The limitations of MOI meshes" is not a correct phrase. The limitations are limitations of the polygon modelling format. Poly modelling doesn't have the real world curves that exist in NURBS. This forces the MOI mesher to compensate by approximating with lots of straight line segments. That is why the meshes are dense. Any nurbs program will have to do the same thing. If you were definitely going for a poly format then why not start out with a program that gives you direct control over the vertices, edges and faces? If you are worried about mesh density and topology then NURBS is probably not the form of modelling you should be using. I don't see that MOI has claimed to be anything other than a good NURBS modeller, which I believe it is quite successful at being. You are not going to get good mesh topology designing with curves. It just won't work. Try subdivision surface modelling to get sort of close. You are definitely going to have to go to a poly modelling program to get it changed into a form suitable for character modelling though. On the other hand if you are trying to create a real world type object then NURBS is pretty much the only thing that will do. Poly modelling is for objects that can be made to "look" real. It's just two different types of modelling for different purposes.

You could still use MOI to make a model that you could use with a subD modeller, but that begs the question of why not start with the same program?

Also, don't you think it's an unfair assumption that because MOI's logo mascot is a rough Easter Island head that would make MOI a character modeller? GEICO is an insurance company with a lizard mascot. While I know the lizard is a gecko that still wouldn't make sense using your analogy.