V4 beta Oct-10-2019 available now

9526.30 In reply to 9526.15 
"... Maybe they should only do that when only annotation objects are selected and no other object types?"

Michael - I think that's worth trying and see if it seems intuitive.

Probably the tools I use the most are the alignment tools - they save a lot of time. For example, I'm working on a machine fixture that has a lot of pieces that butt up against each other in all directions.

So yeah, if annotations are selected only, then allow them to have a boundary box. If annotations are selected along with another object(s), restrict the boundary box to the objects as if annotations were not selected (but allow the annotations to follow the object(s) when moved?).

Otherwise moves and alignments won't work. I can't think of a case where a user would want to operate on the entire boundary box that included annotations.

If the boundary box includes the annotations as it does now, future edits of the model will be difficult, because either the annotations get separated from the object, or precision alignment is sacrificed.

One workaround is to only add annotations when the model is complete, but personally, I've never made a complex model that stayed static for very long :)

Ed Ferguson