64 Bit and Linux support (via Wine) with Nvidia graphics cards

8839.11 In reply to 8839.10 
Hi Bernhard,

> but the issue remains and as far as I can tell, the output is always anti-aliased:

It's hard to tell if anti-aliasing is turned on there because it's solid polygon drawing anti-aliasing that would cause the object id problem, edge antialiasing like on all the outlines of a box is done using a different method. Can you do something like a sphere instead so I can see the silhouettes from shaded polygon drawing instead of edge drawing?

> In "nvidia-settings", for "Antialiasing Settings", I applied "Off" and "Override Application Settings":

Usually it's best to let it be "Application controlled" if there is any setting for that available.

> So would it help to add an option in MoI to enable anti-aliasing? I mean, so that MoI
> and wine are in sync about the state?

Well the selection mechanism does some video card rendering but it's slightly different than what you see on the screen. The rendering done for selection can't have antialiasing enabled for it to work properly.

It could be possible that it's some other issue around texture readback that's the problem and not antialiasing being forced on after all, it's just that in the past that has been the case in other instances that only mouse-over selection was not working.

> BTW.: With MoI V3 on wine, it also appears that anti-aliasing is enabled by default (see, below),
> but there is no issue concerning selecting objects.

MoI V3 on Wine was using Wine's Direct3D9 layer for doing the graphics, while MoI v4 on Wine is using OpenGL, so the graphics libraries that are used are pretty different between them. I'll be adding an option in the next beta to force MoI to use Direct3D11 on Wine rather than OpenGL maybe that will work better.

Probably not for the next beta but sometime after I'll investigate if MoI is doing something wrong with texture readback for OpenGL that needs to be tuned up. It should in theory be better for MoI to use OpenGL on Wine since it's a much thinner layer.

- Michael