V4 beta Nov-13-2017 available now

8675.176 In reply to 8675.174 
Hi Simon, yes the differences for this version are all under the hood in the foundations. The main differences are that MoI is now a 64-bit program and on the Mac it's a native build rather than using the Wineskin system.

The 64-bit part means that MoI can now make use of all your system memory instead of only being able to use around 3.5 GB. For example if you were working on a large model in V3 and attempted to export it out to a mesh file format, you would easily run into an "Insufficient memory" error and you'd be unable to do the export. With v4 doing that same export won't run into that problem anymore. So it basically sets the stage for being able to use MoI with much more complex objects than before.

For the Mac there are other additional improvements, the "native Mac build" part means it's 64-bit there too and numerous glitches in things like general window sizing behavior won't be a problem anymore.

But yes if you're not working with large files and not working on the Mac there won't be anything really noticeable for v4 quite as of yet. That's actually why I put off this work for quite some time but the longer I put it off the harder it would become to make the switch over.

There are still a few details to finish up for the foundational work but then I will be shifting back to working on some more regular individual features rather than the foundational stuff.

- Michael