Better organized forum needed?

833.36 In reply to 833.33 
Hi Zafar,

> General (can be any topic that doesn't fit into the other categories)
> Gallery/WIP's
> Help (an isolated place to ask for assistance)
> Feature requests (if u'd like. Could get crowded fast - such sub-forums always does :) )

I really doubt that it would work as well... For example a lot of posts contain stuff that would fit into more than 1 of your categories here, like someone asks for help and also has a feature request in the same post, that happens frequently.

It seems like it would add some complexity to the forum, without enough gain to make up for the negative qualities of the added complexity.

> but as long as ppl do their best to stick within the proper category

That never really happens, instead what happens is a lot of continual noise and additional traffic pestering people about going into the right category.

> I understand there may be plugin support later? If that's the case
> then you might want a category for plugin developers. Perhaps
> one for development and one for releases.

When the time comes for plug-in support, I would expect to branch that off into its own separate forum, that one is easier to do because a plug-in developer is very different kind of user. If there is a clear way to separate one group of users from another group of users, that's the kind of thing that I would agree can make for a good separation into different categories.

> as a MoI noob I'd be most interested in the gallery and help sections,

Well, there already is a gallery section, it's here: http://moi3d.com/gallery/

Why do you think having a second gallery section would somehow be useful for someone new who wanted to browse gallery stuff. I mean why would they not just go to the current gallery to browse gallery stuff?

Sorry, but I just don't see much value in what you are proposing, instead it seems likely to add unneeded complexity to the forum and impeding the flow of discussion.

A tagging system as I described previously would probably be a lot better, since it would allow an organization method but as an overlay system on top of the current discussion stream without impeding it.

- Michael

EDITED: 3 Apr 2010 by MICHAEL GIBSON