Vojtisek's work

7602.12 In reply to 7602.9 
Hi Andrei,

re:
> Basically for me was very hard to dig into SubD I spend about 1 year till I totally dig into it.

I certainly have never said that SubD modeling is "easy" - it can definitely have a substantial learning curve, and certainly a longer one than the one for NURBS modeling where you're working with mechanical shapes.

This lower learning curve is a big thing that makes MoI a useful companion tool that you can use alongside other software. But this learning curve advantage will be lost if you stubbornly try to use MoI for projects where it is not the right kind of tool.

There are also different kinds of "organic" models, it's true that in certain kinds of cases it's more feasible. But if you try to use NURBS for modeling a human face or something like a hand with branching structures, it's particularly not a good fit.

Your particular case of gun handles most likely do not have the kinds of things like sudden changes in detail like around the corners of eyes or mouths or branching structures like limbs and fingers which become extremely difficult to do well with NURBS surfacing. Sub-d modeling allows you to connect up faces in a more arbitrary manner and provide very localized detail, when you try to do that with Loft it's difficult to avoid the rectangular nature of the loft and often times having tangency applied to your loft just over constrains it more, it doesn't provide the arbitrary topology and ability to refine a specific spot of the model with more points like you can do in sub-d modeling.

To a lot of people the word "organic" will mean things like faces and monster bodies and things like that, not necessarily "industrial design" type forms.

So a lot of people reading your advice of something like "oh yeah you can do organic modeling using NURBS" might try to use it to do an organic character model and then get frustrated that it does not work well for that.

Of course I would like to add in more functions for surface continuity for MoI in the future, it would help for certain kinds of things. But it will not suddenly turn the NURBS toolset into a total "organic" toolset able to do any kind of organic shape that sub-d modeling can do. Try to make a face or a hand in Alias and you will see that in action. You will have a lot of difficulty finding tutorials that show how to do it - you could find them 15 years ago when sub-d modeling was not available (that's when character modeling was also done in NURBS), but not anymore since sub-d is just inherently better at doing those kinds of shapes.

A lot of times if you're worried about making a patchwork of NURBS surfaces with continuity, it's really a sign that your project would have been better suited for sub-d modeling. That's why it has not been a focus for MoI as of yet, it just makes more sense for MoI to be focused on getting the "most bang for the buck" and trying to make a lot of the model happen through 2D curve drawing and booleans. For mechanical models this approach is very fruitful. Trying to focus early on, on the most difficult and finicky type of NURBS modeling (patch-by-patch surfacing) just did not make as much sense since it would not benefit as many people as something that could handle mechanical models without needing to be a mechanical engineer.

- Michael