Geometry problems

656.31 In reply to 656.30 
I guess there just isn't much hope for the Modo OBJ reader, it just does not seem to be able to handle N-gons well. The denser and more complex they get, the more it gets messed up.

Modo does seem to be able to handle n-gons from LWO files a lot better for some reason (less bugs in that particular code I guess). I decided to test that by writing a new LWO exporter. Even when sending the exact same polygons, it works well with LWO and not well with OBJ. That seems pretty weird to me but that seems to be the case.

It's still not perfect even with LWO, I saw a couple of triangulation errors still on certain n-gons, but it is more like 2 errors instead of 100 errors. So it seems like that should help out a lot.

LWO does not support vertex normals for smoothing though, so you can't get the really accurate shading as Gent showed above. It seems like that style of shading is just not supported in Modo or LW. So it may not be possible to get quite as high of render quality as Cinema4D or XSI that do support the accurate vertex normals.

- Michael