New tutorial

I recently posted a tutorial (of sorts) about integrating MoI and Modo with Substance Designer when creating real-time game assets for Unity. Not really a tutorial so much as it's an explanation about how each application can be leveraged into a pretty bullet-proof content creation pipeline.

Here's the URL:

http://www.ronnieashlock.com/?p=999

I'm about 3 years into using MoI to make game content and it is really a tremendous tool. It's great for prototyping/whiteboxing as well as finished high-resolution models. I even start my game-resolution meshes in MoI, then optimize the meshes in Modo for import into game.

Substance Designer is a really great addition to my workflow and pretty much eliminates the need to work in Photoshop. I never thought mighty Photoshop would become irrelevant, and, in truth, it's not, but I can get a better result in Substance Designer in half the time. It was made specifically to help 3D artists become more productive and less frustrated and I have to say Allegorithmic has succeeded brilliantly.

Substance Designer makes good use of the SVG format. I would love it if MoI would export SVG files directly. It looks like SVG support is on your to-do list Michael, but I just wanted to give you another vote of "Yes, please." MoI is so good at making intricate patterns, it's a bit frustrating not being able to go directly from MoI to SD. At the moment, I have a hacky workaround that isn't the best since Inkscape's support of MoI-created .ai files is lacking. I guess it wouldn't be an issue if I had Illustrator, but, even then, I'd prefer to just go straight from MoI to SD.

Anyway, I'm not complaining. :) I love being able to use these tools, as is! Hope people get something from the post.

EDITED: 1 Nov 2012 by SURLYBIRD