consistency

4894.8 In reply to 4894.7 
Hi Val - if you're going to deform something like this into a closed loop, you will need to select the ends on the sides here:

And then delete those in your original object before doing the deform.

Right now you're keeping those caps in place and in your deformed result they end up being stacked up directly on top of each other making for a kind of internal double-stacked up wall at that spot on the resulting cylinder. That will probably cause problems in anything that tries to figure out how to process that model into a solid by surfaces.

You may need to do a Separate and then a Join again after doing this particular kind of rearrangement of topology in order to get all the edges of the result glued together.

> I was asking if I could modify moi to see the errors that other
> software sees as Moi doesn't see these errors. (clearly not)

I would like to add some diagnostics and analysis tools into MoI in the future.

It's not a particularly easy area to add though, it's hard to make stuff that's not overly technical and mumbo-jumbo-ish.

> You will also notice it isn't just the spheres that have the error
> but also the text is coming apart as well.

I'm not immediately seeing how the text is coming apart - are you sure you're not just seeing some of the visual bleed through of some other edges? When edges are displayed they are pulled forward towards the eyepoint so that they don't get all submerged underneath the surfaces - if you have thin walled pieces then this pull forward mechanism can tend to create some display artifacts where edges from some of the back pieces of the thin walls can bleed through. It's just a display artifact though and does not mean that your actual geometry is bad there.

I opened your file in Rhino and did an Explode on an it an then a "SelBadObjects", and only the 4 sphere pieces select as having any problems with them (which is that pole problem that we've discussed previously), nothing involving the text seems to be problematic there.

But for export to other systems it's not good to construct a result with internal overalpping end cap pieces like you've got here - that has a lot of potential to confuse things especially for IGES transfer where it just transfers surfaces and then the receiving application has to try and figure out how the surfaces should be joined together but that is not clear anymore with the internal doubled end caps.

- Michael
Attachments: