SubD Ex;port

478.32 In reply to 478.30 
> Michael:
> Wouldn't that be a option for MOI?? A SubD-Nurbs Hybrid? With the best
> of both Worlds? Like they did in Catia?

Well, notice that one of the things that Catia did is they have a separate modeling module for doing the SubD sculpting portion, then they enabled importing that as NURBS geometry into the other regular modeling modules.

> Do you think it would be hard to implement?

It's pretty hard.

Actually the most difficult problem is that the tools and workflow that you use for SubD modeling is pretty different from regular NURBS drawing/construction type tools. It will be very challenging to combine all those tools into one single interface without it being a big complex mess.

That's actually probably the single largest problem - Catia seems to have side-stepped this by having their Sub-D modeler set up as a separate application instead of having all functions directly combined into one app. Also some fancy tools like Catia don't really mind as much about having a complex UI as I do.

It won't be easy for me to undertake this huge of a UI design anytime too soon. I'd say that it would be quite a few years away at a minimum.

As far as the geometry goes, that is also not a completely simple thing to do, that will take some finesse work as well, but I think that eventually there would be more geometry library support for this type of stuff as it becomes increasingly common.

- Michael