Top 5 Features list for V3 !

If there are significant changes in future versions then maybe have several default menu/toolbar configurations.

Like the interface that opens when you first install and use MoI. That could be the 'default' or novice user tool set.

As you add more features or tools that do more advanced things you could add toggles in the options menus like:

Options ---> User Interface---> Default / Novice
---> Mechanical Design (more for solids & booleans)
---> Freeform Design (more geared around surfaces)
---> Assembly Tool set (snap tool set for putting multiple imported models together)
---> Drawing in a Flat World (2D only sketch tools for those that need to just brain storm and layout sketches)
---> I am Zeus (all tool bars on plus the ability for the user to cast lightning bolts)
---> Create Custom Layout

Obviously the layout could be changed on the fly such as after laying out a bunch of sketches in 'Drawing in a Flat World' mode you then know where u need to go so you enable one of the design menu options and then rotate sketches, extruding, sweeping, etc.

Currently the power of MoI is very high with a very simple and clean interface, little glitz (that sell the product but make user interaction too confusing). The simplicity of the interface cannot be lost or it will evolve into every other design tool (too complex). Right now MoI makes me feel like I am sitting down with a box of crayons. To the lay person the crayons with make a few simple pretty pictures, but the artist can make a master piece with the exact same box of crayons. Other CAD & modeling packages are dropping you in the middle of an Art Supply Store and telling you to just get what you need and yet you have never done any art in your life.

Coming from Solid Works from 1998 to 2008 I watched it evolve and get more and more complex to try to fill the needs of all the people. What truly occurs from what I see people do with 3D cad (and yes you can do sexy organic shapes) is that 95% of the people use 10% of the tools, yet the software creators put the other 90% of the tools in your face to satisfy 5% of the users. Even then most of the 90% tool set is sales/glitz garbage. Any SolidWorks users remember when the 'photorealistic' realtime rendering option first appeared, called photo real? Sales tool, very little use in designing other than to slow things down. Basic lighting and zebra stripes told you what your model was doing.

However, more tools are ok to add if the current easy to learn and use out of the box interface is maintained. It would be a shame to lose potential users that got a trial version and saw there was too much going on.

My soap box - keep it simple (unlike this message). Any new features and tools, have them be turned on via options.

mshideler