Top 5 Features list for V3 !

3628.344 In reply to 3628.342 
Hi Tree,

> Understandable. Although that seems to be just postponing
> the inevitable doesn't it?

Yes, but it's not like that's unusual at all - postponing things that require a lot of work is a normal part of the software development process, particularly when working with very limited resources.

> Or maybe this is related to the Beta itself?

Not as far as I am aware of.

> I don't recall having problems with exporting in the past, but maybe I just hadn't
> been working with heavier models.

Yeah it's probably that.

> Moi is still my go to app for converting surface models to polys, but I also
> don't imagine that the models will get any "lighter" in the future.

You should be able to avoid the problem by selecting just some portion of your objects (just half of them is a good thing to try at first), and then using File > Export to write those out. Export is short for "Export selected" and it writes only the selected objects out rather than everything all at once. Then after you've exported one half invert the selection and export the other half to a different file, then in your rendering program import both of those files and then you should have it all transferred over.

MoI is really more primarily focused on being a modeling tool where you create stuff in, it's somewhat more of a side effect that it happens to be good at converting existing CAD assemblies to polygons as well.

I think it will be possible in v3 for me to tune a couple of things up in some of the intermediate processing stages that will help to reduce memory consumption somewhat though. There are also other feature areas like instancing that can actually help out a lot more which I would probably be working on before trying to tackle 64-bit.

- Michael