Top 5 Features list for V3 !

3628.325 In reply to 3628.324 
Hi Martin, well it sounds like you already know how to handle it!

> I hate trying to solve intermittent failures like this because you think
> you have it sorted right up to the point where it does it again.

Yeah intermittent failures are definitely the worst, and sometimes there isn't any really good way to solve them aside from one-by-one swapping components out with a new one, but of course that requires a duplicate set of all your system components to be available.

But if you can reproduce the failure while running under memtest86 that should really help to narrow it down though since it should take other stuff like the video card out of the picture and probably then more directly point to bad RAM or I suppose possibly the CPU but most likely RAM.

From what you are describing behavior wise bad/flaky RAM does sound most likely.

> I have been a staunch fan of AMD processors but their continuing failure to
> keep up with Intel is starting to sway my opinion, once the new Bulldozer II's
> are on the scene and have been tested i will bet in a better position to say
> what the new box will have inside it ?

Intel certainly does seem to be a fair ways out in front these days I guess unless you are running some kinds of server oriented stuff.

I myself have just recently built a new box with a Core i5 in it, which has a reasonable price.

There doesn't seem to be anything particularly wrong with the AMD stuff, it's just lagging behind in performance to a certain degree but certainly will certainly still work fine in general.

> Now that I am favouring MoI over Rhino these days do you have to or intend
> to do any code tweaking to make MoI more responsive to AMD's single core
> based application problems

I do intend in the future to add more things that take advantage of multiple CPU cores. But dealing with parallel execution tends to be very tricky though, and it's notoriously easy to create really difficult to nail down bugs with it, so it tends to be a particularly delicate and time consuming area of coding work.

- Michael