Top 5 Features list for V3 !

3628.220 In reply to 3628.211 
Hi Michael,

though I understand it's not so difficult to setup a Cplane it would be nice if we could name a cplane at creation time for example and then it would appear in the browser window in a new "CPlane" section, the default cplane could already be there by default and all other named cplane could be activated with a simple click on the "eye" or the new dot area. I understand it would be necessary to automatically deactivate the current active cplane. I you don't want to croud up the browser window, you could possibly use the options window instead.

As you probably know by now, I just love using your excellent program, MOI but recently I realized some of the stuf I would like to do is more kind of SubD stuff then Nurbs stuff and I can live with that but ounce it's done outside of Moi I'd like it a lot if I could bring this back in MOI a bit like with ZSurf. You go out and make your heightmap, process it in ZSurf and you get a nurbs surface you can import in Moi and do whatever you want there. Though I know about getting an .obj file in Moi, thanks to your little utility, there is no comparison with getting a true Nurbs surface. If it was possible to import something more usefull then a zillion tiny segments it would make my day.

I wont hold it against you if it's to complicated to do but I would be mad at myself if I find out later that there was a work around like this crazy idea to convert an .obj file into a hightmap and use ZSurf to get a Nurbs surface, this wouldn't work so good for true 3D object but what about 2.5D objects??? If you or anyone else happen to know of a method and or a program that those that already I would certainly look into it.

Lastly, I wonder if there would be some technical reason why this wouldn't work in the case of 2.5D objects because I believe I could write myself a VB program with the FreeImage library to translate each vertices x,y coordinate into a pixel location and use the z value to get a 8 bit grayscale value or better yet, into a 24 bit color value, if I can find out how ZSurf uses 24 bit color values and converts them into Z values. Just in case you ask, I'd prefer a very average looking Zsurf surface (Nurb) then having to work in another program to combine every thing together to get the final object. After final assembly in MOI I would probably export my work for rendering and I don't think a few small surface added to a much larger object (50 to 90 time larger) rendered to a 640x480 image would ruin the job. At machine time, of course I would use the original SubD file directly and all would be fine for me that way.

Thanks,
Felix