Inset Command

3295.50 In reply to 3295.49 
Hi Jamie,

> the screen is a good example of an offset then needing to be kept
> as a separate part.

I think you should be able to get very close to that with a "grooved" option, just set a really thin groove width... Maybe it could work to make the plug be kept as a separate part if you set Groove width = 0.

> could you choose drag the inset curves around to make it an uneven offset?

That would definitely be cool, but unfortunately it would be extremely difficult to set that up for the general case, because this mechanism can be applied to a lot more than just a 4-sided box area.

Like here for example:

The face being inset does not even need to be planar:

> For example making the CD drawer would need a bigger offset
> from the bottom than the top and sides.

Right now probably what you would do would be to extrude one of those side faces to make a box which you could then boolean union with the main piece to fill in some area to make it uneven.

In the future I'd like to make this easier by allowing you to edit a model by grabbing a face and sliding it around, but it will be a while before that will be possible.

> Could inset use projected curves?

No, not currently - the way it functions is similar to offset or shell, meaning it constructs pieces by offsetting existing surfaces in the model and does not take in any custom drawn curves.

I do want to have something in the future that would let you more easily carve a model in various ways with curves (in addition to how you can do it now by booleaning out holes), but it will require a much different mechanism than what this is currently doing.

> Will this be a V2 thing?

Yup, it looks like it since it has come together really quickly.

- Michael