New Jan-18-2007 beta available now

325.38 In reply to 325.1 
Hello Michael,

Thanks for this new beta-version. The background images are really very useful. However, I needed a lot of adjustments before I got them right. Attached to this post you find my first setup with the background images. As the setup is difficult I probably use a ridiculous scale setting. I tried to enter the corner points of the images using the input fields, but MoI kept jumping back to the mouse position.

During modelling I encountered some problems. Perhaps you can explain these:

- The fuselage of the aircraft is a "loft" of a number of cross-sections. Some of these cross-sections are pure circles, other cross-sections are modelled using mirrored "splines". As you can notice when you select the fuselage, it seems to consist of four quarters instead of a complete surface or solid. Is it caused by an inaccuracy in my mirrored spline cross-sections? How can I detect such an error?

- I started noticing the problem of the non-solid fuselage as I wanted to add a fillet between the fillet and the stabilizer (the little wing at the rear). As I had problems with these fillets (during which MoI started to lock-up my computer!) I did some experiments. I noticed that fillets only work properly on solids. If I create a wing by extruding a wing profile, without using caps, it seems impossible to create a fillet with e.g. a solid cube. Therefore I recreated the stabilizer as a solid surface. However, as I still was not able to create a fillet, I suspect that the error is located in the fuselage.

What do you advise? Recreate the cross sections? Is it correct that a fillet between two surfaces does not work?

Yours sincerely,

Ray.
Attachments: