V2 beta Oct-19-2009 available now

3000.35 In reply to 3000.34 
Hi Petr,

> For instance, it produces a couple of "duplicated curves"
> on edges of simple box in case of View:Top option. Yes, the
> curves are actually in the different height, but only until
> exporting to AI...

Yeah I saw that in a few cases - it seems to get slightly confused when a plane is exactly edge-on to an ortho view direction and ends up tracing the edges of those vertical planes as silhouettes.

I could probably screen those out, are they causing you a problem?

> When using Export command?

Sorry, I didn't mean the "Export" command specifically here, I was just referring more to general file I/O meaning writing a file out from MoI.

> Yes. On the other hand it is pretty easy to get "no" curves
> if you just do an Export to AI format.

Sorry, I'm not following this one - if you have nothing selected when you do an Export, it will prompt you to select objects before continuing.

> I would expect these results doing silhouette:

Well for example the edge that I've got outlined in red here is not a silhouette because both of the faces connected to it are forward facing.

A silhouette edge would be an edge where it is either connected to only a single face, or when connected to 2 faces one of them is forward facing and the other is backwards facing. That edge above would be a "visible" edge in a hidden-line removal drawing. But doing a full hidden line removal method is a lot more involved and complex than just silhouette generation.

This new Silhouette command just makes silhouettes and does not compute visibility stuff.

This one that you show here:

Is also probably not really feasible for this command, silhouettes are generated more at an individual face level so it does not know how to treat the "most forward" face differently from the "most behind" one like you are showing here. That would again be something that could be done with a much more involved hidden/visible line calculation instead.

- Michael