Keeping layers during meshing of Rhino objects -> OBJ -> Rhino

2720.9 In reply to 2720.8 
Hello Michael,

a vray standalone isn't available. Also I'm not a friend of render studios, because additional work must be done. My clients work with 3dm files, send model changes often, extra informations like layers, layer states and cameras are used. Some times my client like to get the camera is used for creation additional things like AI lines from a view.

I tested your script and so far I see it works without problems. The mesh grouping is avoided. :) Also I have seen that the Rhino Obj mtl import works fine too. I ask me, could it be possible to keep the information of material name and layer name through the conversation process Rhino2MoI2Rhino? I'm not sure MoI can read the material name of Rhino objects. After import the MoI OBJ I have two places where informations are stored - obj material name and object name.

I will try to find somebody how can write a Rhino script. Maybe somebody read the thread here and could do it please. Attached a Rhino file that show objects where the object names needed to be converted to layer names without the additional underscore.
To avooid nameing problems the underscore could be replaced by a seldom used character like "|" or "ยง". I have the feeling the underscore could be regular used for layer names. But this should be the smallest problem.

I understand that the 3dm mesh export would cause more work. My hope was that v2 could be the "meshing" release among other things. ;)

Cheers,
Micha
Visualisation for Designer and Architects - www.simulacrum.de