Scene browser progress

2470.87 In reply to 2470.85 
Hi PaQ,

> Drawing a curve when 'hide curves' in active ? In
> max for example you don't see what you are drawing
> in that case, and well, it's a bit disturbing ^^

The way that I'm currently planning for these things to work is that they are actions that you perform, rather than a persistent mode.

So for instance if you go to hide curves, it will be the same as if you had selected all the curves in your model and then hit Hide (using the current Hide tool from MoI v1 I mean). It won't be a permanent "sticky" mode.

That would be the same behavior for all those kinds of things - groups, named objects, types, and styles.

Otherwise if these were persistent modes, there would be all sorts of conflicts that would arise (aside from having some strange effects like you mention), like what if you had set curves to be off, but then you have a named object that is a curve and then you turn it on using the "named object" UI? One thing would be saying "turn it off" and another thing would be saying "turn it on"... I would have to have some kind of hierarchy of one of those states "winning" out over the other.

By doing things as an immediate action instead it avoids these kinds of conflicts.

There will probably be some kinds of situations where a "sticky mode" could be useful, but it is just so much more complicated to have that. The "immediate action" method I think will work out to be more simple overall and it makes it easier to have many different categories to work with, that kind of flexibility should hopefully be useful. We'll have to see how it works out though.

- Michael