Scene browser progress

2470.67 In reply to 2470.65 
Hi Danny,

> your statement says that there is a down side to
> what you've got currently implemented in MoI :s

That's certainly true! There are a lot of compromises and tradeoffs that I've had to do, no doubt about that.

However, I've done some steps to try and mitigate these problems, by having more than one switchable area.

I've also tried to put things that I think may not be used together too often on the same row, for example Draw curve and Draw solid are not typically used in rapid ping-pong fashion so those being on the same switchable section doesn't really hurt too much.

Similarly the new edit frame in the 2D views is largely there to help reduce the amount of trips that are necessary to the Transform tab.

These mitigating steps help avoid some of the downsides to the tab switching in many cases. It does not eliminate it entirely but that is impossible to completely eliminate.

If I were to have one giant switchable container, it would exacerbate this problem.

> I understand what your saying, but a lot of software, even
> maybe all, have the object organisation in a separate window,
> popup or fly out as you have shown in your current workings,

Actually it seems very common to have object organization tools in a dockable panel that then ends up usually being docked permanently to the side of the working area.

> tabs are neater and don't interfere with the workspace, don't you think?

The inline mode actually does have a kind of tab that easily collapses or expands it to keep it from interfering with the workspace, I'll show that again here (this is a repeat from the initial post of this thread):

I'm not sure how the side tabs keeps things neater than this when it is collapsed?

It sounds like you might like working with the inline mode since it will keep the browser inside that side pane similar to what you are describing, rather than having it pop out into that area along side it.

- Michael