Scene browser progress

2470.61 In reply to 2470.52 
Hi olio, thanks for your feedback!

> for an example the layer system, you always talk about the
> layer system in other system that objects can't be in different
> layers at the same time, why is that a bad thing?

It tends to prevent you from being able to make some larger groupings that can be convenient.

Like for instance if you have a car and you have smaller components on individual layers, then you can't have a larger grouping for "front of car" that includes many but not all of those individual components, like only the front 2 wheels instead of all wheels.

It's limiting and it forces you to have to spend more effort thinking about your organization since you have to operate within these boundaries.

This is one part that generally contributes to a kind of restrictive and clunky feeling that tends to go along with old fashioned layer systems. Certainly tastes vary though!

> Rhino (which sometimes I feel you try too hard to be a little different).

Most of the time I am trying to go beyond problems and limitations that I placed into Rhino's design...

Of course some stuff is experimental, that is the nature of change.

But it is generally important to me to try and make improvements in my designs and try to move the forward! If you only want exactly the same thing as Rhino then you already have that in place by just using Rhino...

I really would not have been interested in doing MoI unless it was focused on making progress and also going in different directions than Rhino.

> And for the eye icon, from a designers perspective it bothers
> me a lot, I like the light bulb that you see in rhino and autocad,
> maybe the eye needs some fine tuning, its a bit too harsh on the
> eyes.)

It's really tough to make a good icon that is recognizable but fits into a small space.

I've compared this one to other ones I've seen that try to put too much detail in them, and I definitely prefer this one so far...

If you have a better idea, I'd love to see the design!

I can certainly understand that once you have spent a lot of time with an existing mechanism or design that it can be weird to change to anything else that is different in any way.

- Michael