Scene browser progress

2470.15 In reply to 2470.12 
Once again, Michael, great to see you seeking feedback when you introduce a new feature. If only other companies were as interactive.

I like the hide/show based on colour as well as having groups. I see this as a quick way of grouping things - possibly on the fly, using grouping for more structured organization of the model. At first glance it looks like you have 2 things that are the same. But I can see the value in having both methods.

For example: I might set up two groups, control panel bottom and control panel top. In these groups I can have sub groups for the lights, switches, buttons etc.. But then I can style things differently too. So all lights can be green regardless of which group they are in. So I could hide all the lights with one click (see next comment).

>>One thing that I'm not quite sure about is whether it would be good to make it very easy to select all the objects belonging
>>to a group or style with a single click somewhere on that line.

Yes, I think this is a great idea!! Please don't put it in a flyout. Once people get to use this I don't think it will be a problem and it will be a super quick way to create a kind of 'selection set' as well as setting visual cues around how the model is organized. Maybe should there be a select by colour command too? I'm maybe muddying the waters here I think :-)

>>Also I think that right-click on the eye will turn off all the other objects and only keep just those ones visible

Another good one - please keep this in. How would you will bring them all back, though?

>>The idea for that is that if you have a high resolution display with a lot of empty space over there, you can place the Scene browser in that empty space
>> rather than as a new panel. I was thinking of making this the initial default mode if you have a screen resolution of 1600x1200 or higher.

This is a nice idea but please, please, please make an option for the browser to work in a separate window (like the options does).

Based on other tools I use, I can see the browser getting very busy in a complicated model (100s of items). The minimal space used in the 'inside' mode will be very quickly filled up, even on a 1600x1200 monitor.

I, personally, would like to be able to keep the browser open at all times and using the 'adjacent mode' would take space away from the modeling view which I would rather not have to do if possible. If the browser is in a separate window it gets the benefits of, resizing , minimizing, moving, as well as being able to be placed on another monitor if you have one, and it can be re-scaled to suit both the user and the model.

There is some good stuff here, but at the moment I am not at all sure about the placement of this stuff in the interface and the possible encroachment on the modeling area.

Regards
Tony

(aka HamSoles)