Meshing ... tests and wishes

2451.37 In reply to 2451.36 
Hi Micha,

> I play with the options "devide larger .." and run in an other issue.
> I enabled "curved", but the upper surface is devide in the direction
> without curvation too.

Yeah, the "curved" option will apply the division to any surface that is not planar, and will divide in both directions.

I think that the chord height option will work better for this particular thing rather than having another variant of "Divide larger than".

That is basically what will be useful about a chord height metric - directions that are flat will already satisfy the chord height metric. By the nature of that metric it only applies to curved areas.

> General I miss quads at the upper surface like the object
> without fillets show it. I marked two critical areas. So, it's not only
> a question for the polycount, also for the look.

Well, you've used an angle of 100 degrees in your screenshot there, you should generally expect to get a jagged look to your object with such a coarse angle, no surprise about that!

Re: quads - as far as I can tell the same thing that I described earlier in this thread applies here - you're not getting quads because the initial UV quad layouts of those surfaces do not align, here is a link back to that explanation and illustration again:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2451.6

> I know, you like a simple interface, but I could imagine, that
> it could useful to set independent parameters for "divide larger
> than .." of curved and plane surfaces.

The separate chord height metric will basically allow for something pretty similar to that since it essentially ignores planes. So that would let you use "Divide larger than" and set it to only apply to planes, and meanwhile use Chord height separately which will only apply to curved areas.

> Also nice would be, if the polygon edges of the polygons could go
> straigt upward. But maybe that could be done by a inteligent
> mesher with a sense for beauteousness only. ;)

I'm not quite sure what you mean by striaght upward? But yes unfortunately many things that would be nice to have tend to require a kind of "artifical intelligence" which is rather difficult to code. Maybe some day! :)

- Michael