Meshing ... tests and wishes

2451.28 In reply to 2451.17 
Hi Micha,

> (8) I used an angle of 35°. It's the "o" from a Rhino text object with a round.

I think this one was answered by my reply to your additional message, see here for that reply:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2451.21

> This screenshot above was done befor I changed the CentroidTriangulation option
> at the ini. (Sidenote: the Rhino mesher create this overhanging peaks too.)

It probably wasn't so much the change in CentroidTriangulation that avoided this, but rather using a different angle value that didn't cause the edges to get an additional subdivision beyond what the base surface got. Again see the above linked reply for more info on this.

Overhanging peaks are basically when a polygon has a high degree of non-planarity to it. If you have many points that are nearly co-planar and then suddenly one that is a larger distance away from that nearly common plane, it creates that kind of situation.

Rhino's mesher tends to create things like that in many more circumstances even without going to coarse levels of meshing, particularly around closed surface seams.

In MoI you will typically only see that effect if you are torturing the mesher by using very coarse angles like you are doing here! :)

If you see that kind of peak under more normal meshing circumstances in MoI (like say less than 20 degrees angle parameter), then please let me know, but in general I think you won't run across that except for in these very coarse examples.

Again, please refer to that previous message about how it is possible for edges to get refined with additional points than the surfaces and why that is necessary (or else things that are flat but with complex trim boundaries would not work at all, example in that previous message).

> Two other things to this - at Rhino I found, that some triangles can be converted
> to quads (maybe this is fixed in your internal version like you wrote at (9))

This was with the Mesh#6.3dm model? Was this instance where you could convert some triangles to quads happening at the default mesh parameters, or only at a particular parameter?

If you can tell me the parameters you used to run into that, I can test with it over here and see if it is fixed by the other fix or not.

> and could it be possible, that the CentroidTriangulation option is
> part of the general meshing parameters?

Is it something that you expect to be turning on or off very often?

For most people I was figuring that it would be something that they would want to have on all the time or off all the type for more typical usage.

- Michael