Meshing ... tests and wishes

2451.17 In reply to 2451.16 
(3) rounded cube

The object I used is a Rhino object (copy&paste to MOI) and I attach it now. Could be nice, if the mesh could be same, dosn't matter it is a STEP import, a Rhino copy&paste or a MOI3D creation. ;)

(4) mesh #2

This object is a "o" from a Text object "Rhino". Interesting for me is, that you talk about independent edges and surfaces. I thought a surface or polysurface has edges, but you extract and delete them. That's I don't understand.
"I've attached an updated version of your object here as mesh#2_quads.3dm - to simplify the edges of this shape, I took your object, used Edit/Separate to break it into individual surfaces, then selected all the edges of those surfaces and did a Delete to "untrim" them and get the natural surface isoparms as a new simple trimming boundary, and then rejoined."

Could it be possible, that this is internal automatic done for meshing? Or can I do something at Rhino befor export an object to MOI? Are the edges needed for meshing? Is at MOI at command to select all edges?

(5) mesh #3

I attach the original surface, now it should be buggy. ;)

(6) mesh #4

Seems to be the same problem like at (4) and I don't understand it, why edges are independent from the surfaces and how to delete edges. I would like to avoid the effect per Rhino script befor I export the object to MOI. I afraid, at complex models the "separate-edge-delete-join" method could be a problem.

(7) I'm curious for the next beta. :)

(8) I used an angle of 35°. It's the "o" from a Rhino text object with a round.

This screenshot above was done befor I changed the CentroidTriangulation option at the ini. (Sidenote: the Rhino mesher create this overhanging peaks too.)
Interesting - now I tested the object again and it looks much better, also at a rawer angle of 55° - great! In regard to the easy usage of MOI it could be good, if the bad look of first screenshot could be avoided allways. ;)

Two other things to this - at Rhino I found, that some triangles can be converted to quads (maybe this is fixed in your internal version like you wrote at (9)) and could it be possible, that the CentroidTriangulation option is part of the general meshing parameters?

(9) :)
... one thought from me, as I bought MOI3D some days befor was, maybe it's a good time now for tests and improvement requests. :)
Thank you.

EDITED: 1 Mar 2009 by MICHA