MOI3D mesher plugin for Rhino? Closed

2398.22 In reply to 2398.18 
Hi Steve,

> I know you have worked hard and many many hours on
> the update, but would not like to see maajor increase in
> price which may put off new users/ or owners of V1

Currently my plan is to increase the price of v2 by US $100 to a total of $295 for a full license, or $100 for a v1 to v2 upgrade license.

Then probably after about another year's worth of work for v3, I think the same thing will happen for it, that it will go to $395. By that point in time quite a lot of the things that were missing in v1 will be filled in pretty well.

One idea that I have had is that in the future I could still offer version 1.0 at its same current price as a kind of "lite" version for someone who was looking for just an essential modeling tool that is easy for them to use. I'm not completely sure about that yet, but that is one idea.

Basically I did end up pricing version 1.0 too low. I mean there were some reasons I did this, I wanted to make it easy for people to get MoI and also having a low price tends to make it easier to justify missing functions. As time goes on and functionality increases, that basically removes one of those reasons. Then that leaves me with accessibility as being the main reason to have a low price. Unfortunately it seems that this only works very well from a business standpoint if you also invest a large amount of effort in marketing to reach people. That's not really something I enjoy doing a whole bunch, so that basically leads me more towards focusing on more professional level users who can more easily afford anything in the $500 range if it helps them get their work done.

> Please dont jump up and down on me for this comment, it is just my thoughts.

No, no problem - I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will be upset at any price increase at all. Then at the same time there will be plenty of people who won't care at all! I would kind of go a bit crazy if I worried about the first group all the time though. I mean there have been a bunch of people who have told me that I should make MoI open source and available for free and that I could pay my bills with the good karma that this would generate! :)

- Michael