MoIV2 Beta Nov-21-2008 Questions

2168.54 In reply to 2168.43 
Hi mushroomgod - re: hide / show options

One problem with the setup that you are mentioning there is not having any way to show just some of the objects that were hidden instead of all of them.

That was a pretty heavily requested function for hide/show capabilities.

That's the reason why there is some added complexity to the current hide/show mechanism - when you click twice to show all, there is also another alternative, which is to click once, then you see all the objects that were hidden, and if you want to only show just a couple you can pick those and then push done (or click the hide button or right-click in a viewport which are aliases for pushing "Done" in this case) and only those particular ones will be shown instead of all.

The request for this came up so frequently that I made a pretty difficult decision to incorporate this kind of additional power directly into that hide/show mechanism instead of just doing a one-click "show all". It is a case where I decided to sacrifice some simplicity to gain more functionality and power.

It's a pretty significant UI design benefit to have only one button for hide/show, in the future I'll probably want to also add a "Lock/unlock" mechanism, and having the full mechanism encapsulated in one button makes that a lot more possible - having 2 buttons for each of these kinds of functions makes it much harder to incorporate additional ones.

I'm certainly up for making right-click do something, and I think there are actually 2 separate things that I can do for right-click - I can do one thing if you right click when there is a selected object (isolate it by hiding all the non-selected), and if there is no selection I can do some other action when you right-click, which could be used for a "one click show all" I suppose, if that would help.

- Michael